I hate waiting. just like Inigo Montoya in the Princess Bride movie.
Things you have to wait for when you’re a writer:
- Ideas (a spark of a notion that makes you want to write)
- Ideas about your ideas (plots, characters, scenes)
- Clarity on the piece’s structure
- Figuring out your beginning and your ending
- Your friends and allies to tell you what they think of your miserly draft
- For the energy to go through another round of revisions
- For answers (likely rejections) to your submissions to publishing bodies
- For prospective agents to reply to your query letter
- For prospective agents to reply to your manuscript
- For prospective publishers to reply to your agent’s manuscript submissions
Phew. I’m on step 5 and I’m already in agony. Who knows what will happen next.